Valpovo

Historical sources tell us that almost 700 years have passed since the first known written mention of Valpovo. This claim is substantiated by written documents from year 1332 about the existence of organized Valpovo Catholic parish.

From important historical dates we can point out April 24, 1438, when Valpovo was proclaimed a market town. Following a two-month siege, Turks have conquered Valpovo on July 23, 1543 and ruled the region for full 144 years. From 1687 to 1721 Valpovo was ruled by Court Chamber of Vienna. The first appointed Valpovo Baron was Peter Hilleprand de Prandau (in 1721). After the death of the last Baron Gustav in 1885, Konstantin Normann Ehrenfelski became the first Valpovo Count through marriage connections, while the last Count was Rudolf, who died in Valpovo in 1942.

The most important annual cultural event is the Valpovo Summer, attended by a number of cultural clubs with folklore, music, theatrical and other performances.

Angling opportunities are provided on the nearby rivers Karasica, Vucica, Drava, as well as on lakes and fishponds; hunting grounds are offered nearby. Slavonian specialties, venison and freshwater fish and quality wines add to the visitor opportunities of the Valpovo region.

Prandau Normann castle is the most important cultural-historical monument in the town of Valpovo, within which medieval cylindrical tower and completely restaurated Holy Trinity Church are located. Valpovo Gardens with the park-forest spreads over 25 hectares and is one of the most valuable examples of park architecture in Croatia. Its value is manifested in preservation of the authentic type of English landscape parks, which is a true rarity in Croatian park heritage. According to latest research, there are 121 tree and very rare ornamental shrubbery species in Valpovo Gardens. This abundance makes this park a small arboretum, which we recommend to elementary and high school students and students of natural sciences for educational purposes, but also to everyone who loves the untouched beauty of nature in this protected complex, which has been proclaimed a horticultural monument of natural and garden architecture.

More on Valpovo at www.valpovo.hr.

Valpovo

Historical sources tell us that almost 700 years have passed since the first known written mention of Valpovo. This claim is substantiated by written documents from year 1332 about the existence of organized Valpovo Catholic parish.

From important historical dates we can point out April 24, 1438, when Valpovo was proclaimed a market town. Following a two-month siege, Turks have conquered Valpovo on July 23, 1543 and ruled the region for full 144 years. From 1687 to 1721 Valpovo was ruled by Court Chamber of Vienna. The first appointed Valpovo Baron was Peter Hilleprand de Prandau (in 1721). After the death of the last Baron Gustav in 1885, Konstantin Normann Ehrenfelski became the first Valpovo Count through marriage connections, while the last Count was Rudolf, who died in Valpovo in 1942.

The most important annual cultural event is the Valpovo Summer, attended by a number of cultural clubs with folklore, music, theatrical and other performances.

Angling opportunities are provided on the nearby rivers Karasica, Vucica, Drava, as well as on lakes and fishponds; hunting grounds are offered nearby. Slavonian specialties, venison and freshwater fish and quality wines add to the visitor opportunities of the Valpovo region.

Prandau Normann castle is the most important cultural-historical monument in the town of Valpovo, within which medieval cylindrical tower and completely restaurated Holy Trinity Church are located. Valpovo Gardens with the park-forest spreads over 25 hectares and is one of the most valuable examples of park architecture in Croatia. Its value is manifested in preservation of the authentic type of English landscape parks, which is a true rarity in Croatian park heritage. According to latest research, there are 121 tree and very rare ornamental shrubbery species in Valpovo Gardens. This abundance makes this park a small arboretum, which we recommend to elementary and high school students and students of natural sciences for educational purposes, but also to everyone who loves the untouched beauty of nature in this protected complex, which has been proclaimed a horticultural monument of natural and garden architecture.

More on Valpovo at www.valpovo.hr.