Erdut

Erdut was first mentioned in 1335 as Erdod or Erdewd. After the Turkish retreat in 1688, Erdut becomes property of Baron Johan Baptist Maximilian Zuan, then of Count Palfi, and of the Adamovich de Csepin family. In the second half of the 19th century Erdut became the property of Ervin Cseh, the Sirmian County Prefect.

The renowned wines of the Erdut wine-cellars and large wooden casks are well-known among wine connoisseurs. The largest cask, made of 150-year old oak-wood, with a content of 75,000 l, was included in the Guinness Book of Records.

Being situated upon the Danube (road and railway border crossings), Erdut plays an important role in transit tourism. The beauty and attractiveness of the wine-growing countryside and the hilly landscape above the Danube have made Erdut a popular excursion destination of the Osijek and Vukovar citizens.

Seat of the Erdut municipality Tourist board is located in Aljmas, a well-known Marian shrine of Our Lady of Sanctuary, built in 1708. Believers have been pilgrimaging to this far-famed shrine for the Feast of the Assumption (August 15) since 1704. The Aljmas church was destroyed in the war in 1991, and construction of the new church and shrine was started ten years later.

In the Erdut municipality area there are several very attractive hunting and fishing grounds, as well as weekend houses, apartments, rooms and tourist-catering establishments.

The picturesque loess elevations rising above the Danube, between Aljmas and Erdut, are protected as important landscape. The loess deposits on the remains of old elevations have reached greater heights, and the slopes toward the Danube are cut sharply and rise up to 70 meters above the river.

The medieval town is now only a ruin. The main quadrangular tower underwent unfortunate reconstruction and was turned into the tomb of the Cseh family; only wall fragments of the old tower can be seen today. There is a Renaissance tower on the same location, with a circular ground-plan, loopholes and a projected upper coronate on the consoles; a part of the old wall with windows is by the tower. In the 19th century the Csehs built in Erdut a mansion surrounded with a park.