Donji Miholjac

The first mention of Donji Miholjac dates from the 11th century, in relation to construction of the church devoted to St. Michael. With the arrival of the Prandau family to the area in 1721 construction of manor houses was started, and the social, economic and sport life started to flourish.

The position of Donji Miholjac along the border river Drava determined its function as a border town and transit tourist centre. The nice neo-Gothic manor, with its park being protected as a horticultural monument, is the visitors' main target.

The Miholjac Gathering (Miholjacko sijelo) represents the most important event, including traditional folk costumes, tunes and dances as well as rich gastronomic offer. The immediate surroundings of the town offer hunting, and the nearby fishpond and the Drava river angling opportunities.

Tennis courts are situated near the hotel Borik. In addition to the Slavonian culinary specialties, Donji Miholjac and its surroundings offer freshwater fish specialties (carp, pike-perch, sheatfish, etc.).

The St. Michael's Church was built in late Baroque style. The Baroque altar dedicated to St. Michael the Archangel (title of the church and the parish), is the work of painter Maria Schoffman and was made in Vienna in 1890. It was done according to the original by Italian painter Guido Reni (from 1630). First more significant restoration of the church was carried out in 1738 with help of the aristocratic Prandau family.

The Prandau castle was built in 1818 in late Baroque style, and it was the residence of the Prandau family. The Mailath castle was one of the last castles in Slavonia to be built in specific English Tudor style (1903-1906) in hunting castle fashion. Castle interior is paneled with hundred-year-old oakwood. Count's wealth and modern views are well shown by castle's functionality: plumbing installations, three forms of heating (fireplaces, tile stoves, central hot water heating), central vacuum system, bowling alley with a bar, etc.

The Donji Miholjac Park spreads over 10 hectares in the center of town. It has been protected as a horticultural monument since 1961 because of its rare plants and plantations: White Magnolia, Ginkgo Biloba, Tulip Tree, Lawson Cypress, etc.

More on Donji Miholjac at www.tz-donjimiholjac.hr.